Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dirt, dirt, dirt...

Today I moved dirt, nothing else really. Nothing creative, artsy or even fun...
You see, we have this very under utilized storage shed, complete with power and water. But it has never had a floor in it, just dirt. It started out as a goat shed, so I guess you could say I spent the day shoveling poo. Ancient poo. So old that it doesn't smell bad, just smells like dirt.
 So I came up with the idea to put a floor in it. The shed I mean. So I could use it as a wood shop, for building frames, benches, birdhouses, what ever...
  Little did I know, to build a floor, you need floor joists, actually, I did know this, but I didn't know we would have to dig down 12" in order to install them...
  Because the building has four walls, all we could do was bring in a wheelbarrow, and fill it up shovel by shovel and haul it away to the garden. (I wonder if the dirt would grow veggies well next year, it is certainly composted after all this time!) So we dug out all this dirt, and drilled into the concrete perimeter to attach ledger boards. One of the walls was calcified and porous, it wouldn't hold the anchor bolts. We will have the pour footers underneath. We now have half the joists installed, and plan to get the others in tomorrow. Sometime in and around cleaning out one of our rentals that was left a complete mess...
  In the mean time, I am sore, stiff and sore and hoping someone will come along and help me out of my chair so I can hobble off to bed and sleep a very long time...Night night, all...

No comments:

Post a Comment