Friday, October 5, 2012

A Little Side Project...

Welcome to day 5 of Blogtoberfest!

I am going to take a small detour at this point and leverage the owl painting I did yesterday into another small collage. I liked the way that extra canvas turned out, so I will collage an owl to finish it.
Here, I have reduced the original drawing down to 75%, a size that fits my 8" X 10" background, and have it  on my clipboard, along with some graphite transfer paper and a piece of watercolor paper. Since I plan to paint and collage, I need something heavy to work on. Next I trace the owl onto the watercolor paper. Now, I only need the most basic outlines here, this is to be more of a pattern than a painting. Eye and beak placement, just a suggestion of the branch and the feathers, especially, as they are the pattern I will follow for cutting the scrapbook papers.
Here I have blocked in some color, no detail yet, and started piecing in the feathers. I won't collage the entire owl, just the feathers, eyes and possibly the beak. I am using colors that blend nicely with the background I made yesterday, so this is not an attempt at a realistic representation!

I have errands to run today, so I will have to leave this project for a bit. Pop by in the days to come for further step by step progress on this and my larger painting...


Until next time...enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment