Monday, October 1, 2012

Bidding Summer Goodbye...

 Autumn is in the air. I knew it was coming, the big yellow school buses were a tip-off. But everything has been so green and my begonias are shaking off the burning heat and thriving in the cool shade, lush with new blossoms .

Some part of me must have thought it wouldn't happen. Silly of course, seasons change, year after year, for millennium, but hope springs eternal, even in the heart of the weary. 

  But last night, I stepped outside to admire the full moon, and there it was. That smell, the crisp clear chill. Ozone perhaps? I don't know what to call it, but it smelled cold.
 The leaves on the trees are still green, but it won't be long before they begin to turn the most amazing shade of gold and drop over night. For a couple weeks it will be glorious! Green, gold, rust and smokey blue, as far as the eye can see. I love this time of year, it appeals to all my senses. But it also marks an ending, we are fast approaching winter, faster every year it seems.

So now is the time for one last push, finish up projects and tidy the acreage. I will miss my beautiful lawn, but not the weekly mowing. Soon the snow will cover my unfinished projects, giving me a reprieve until Spring.
The subject for this weeks Every Inchie Monday is "boat". In keeping with my fall clean-up theme, the tree is beginning to turn gold, there is already a skiff of snow on the mountain and my boat is pulled in off the lake, ready for winter storms.

Until next time...enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. As I walked my yard today I was thinking the same think Carol. Bittersweet isn't it. I think sometimes I take summer for granted when it is here, and then I notice the subtle changes and I long for it all over again. Love your yard and garden scenes. Would love to walk your acreage some day together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    You are so right... you know it is coming, yet you think the beautiful weather will last! I love your artwork. Very beautiful!!

    I enjoyed your blog post!
    :-) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plants are stunning! The painty layers on your wonderful bird art is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your garden, and the beauty of nature captured in your artwork.
    So much creative goodness here. Looking forward to sampling and savouring some more!
    Delighted you're joining us for Blogtoberfest12.
    Kat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely evocative little picture, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh we are moving into Summer here so nice to see your garden shots. x

    ReplyDelete